The big news that Telltale Games was teasing ended up being even more important than many imagined. Telltale Games and Mojang will team up to Minecraft: Story Mode. It will be a new game created by Telltale in collaboration with Minecraft creator Mojang. Like the developer’s previous games, this will be an episodic release, with episodes spaced weeks or months apart. While this will feature a story, it is apparently not the official story of the main character of Minecraft, Steve. In addition, he will not go into details explaining the world of Minecraft, most likely existing as a side adventure with little overall context in the big world.
The game was announced very creatively through a game called Info Quest II, which is playable on the Mojang site. You can explore the game a bit to get information about Minecraft: Story Mode, or just get the chip info sheet. The bullets indicate:
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative video game created by Telltale Games. It will be Minecraft.
- Mojang is working with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released sometime in 2015 and will be available on Xbox, PlayStation, PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will release episodically, as will The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another series of developer collaboration between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- It is not our intention to create an “official” story for Steve, or to explain the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. Not really. It was a joke.
Minecraft: Story Mode will begin releasing in early 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PC, Mac, iOS and Android.
– This article was updated on February 20, 2018